Oct 3, 2016

The Truth is Out There ~ X-Files upcycled T-Shirt & Podcast

        
During my summer break I got invited by my friends Mia & Hanna to be a special guest on their podcast Flimmerfeen. For each episode they pick a TV show from the 80s&90s and take apart one episode from the series. For my guest appearance we chose an episode from the X-Files! You can listen to the Podcast here, it's in german though.
Next to Buffy and Angel the X-Files was my favorite tv show growing up. I remember being really creeped out by some of the monster of the week episodes, wasn't a huge fan of the alien abduction storyline, but Mulder was definitely my favorite! And it's the perfect show to watch in the fall, when it starts to get dark early in the evening and especially on foggy days. Doing the podcast inspired me to upcycle this purple t-shirt with a galaxy pattern and the tagline of the show "The Truth is Out There!".

So I gathered all of my fabric paints on the balcony that would work for the galaxy pattern.


         
         
         
I started with the spray paints, because they are the easiest to apply. I used all the light colours that would show up on the purple best. On the back of the shirt I tried to kind of make a flying saucer shape, but I don't think that turned out too well.

Next I sprayed on somewhite paint with an old toothbrush. You just thin out the paint with a little bit of water and put it on the toothbruck and flick it with your finger to spray little white dots all over like stars.

So messy!
         
I hung up the T-Shirt to dry completely. Then I began to cut out letters to form the words "the truth is out there".
         
I cut out the letters on interfacing which I would just have to iron on the shirt.

         
After ironing on the letters I still wasn't quite satisfied with the way the T-Shirt was looking, so I used some bleach in a spray bottle to intensify the galaxy pattern.


To give more depth to the pattern I used the white fabric paint to add a few more stars to the front and back of the shirt.


I also made the image of the flying saucer on the back of the shirt more clear and added a beam of light that makes it look like they are about to abduct someone or something.

Inspired by the wonderful Anne from The Partywoods I had a photoshoot in the woods to show off my new new upcycled T-Shirt. Also a lot of X-Files episodes take place in the woods, the one we talked about in the podcast was actually about ancient woodland creatures, so the photoshoot's pretty fitting and was a lot of fun. Thanks to Romie for taking the pictures!


          

          


I really like how it turned out! That's the fun part about crafting, you never know how it is going to turn out. It also matches my new pair of glasses.

If you want to check out the podcast you can follow the Flimmerfeen on Soundcloud. I just recently got into podcasts myself and am obsessed with "My favorite Murder" at the moment.
Alright, stay sexy & don't get abducted!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...